We made it out of Juarez and through the Chihuahuan Dessert. There is not wireless at our hotel so I will not be able to load any pictures or Skype. Traffic was not really bad and the roads were all in very good condition actually. I know Chihuahua is one of the richest states so that might change as we go farther south. The tolls really killed us... about $22 to go 5.5 hours... That does not sound too bad except probably only 1.5 hours were actually ON a toll road! We did put gas in. It was $0.80 a liter and there are 3.8 liters in a gallon... I am not sure what that works out too but it seemed expensive. $30 to put in a little over 1/2 tank.
Felipe and I had a few communication breakdowns due to the stress of not knowing what we were doing but we have calmed down now. This hotel is not as nice as our last one but seems pretty clean and has secure parking which is important. This town is mid-sized (about 90,000 people) so driving in it was a little better. There are about 50,000 German descended Mennonites in this area. It is very strange to be walking down the street and then see these white men in overalls and white women in their homemade dresses and bonnets. Very out of place. It is about 3pm and we walked around town a little. Felipe feels a little ill so we are going to relax and get ready for our Copper Canyon trip tomorrow.
NEW at 9pm - We just finished dinner at the restaurant in our hotel. Finally some authentic Mexican food! We both had shrimp but with different sauces and it was great. Felipe´s stomach has not gotten any better. He is having major cramps but nothing else and we cannot figure out why since we both have eaten exactly the same thing today. My guess is it is the stress of my driving. If you notice that I am missing contractions or some punctuation it is because I am typing on a Mexican keyboard which is amazingly impossible to figure out the extra buttons. We are both glad to not be driving for a few days more and think we may be biting off more than we can chew to go all the way over to Tequila. Especially since we do not have the best of tempers in stressful situations. Thank goodness mom and dad drove us down to El Paso (dad really did all the driving) or we would probably both have ditched the car by now and gotten on a plane. I am starting to miss everybody. More now than when I was stuck in the hotel which is odd. I am getting very excited to meet his sisters and dad and nieces and nephews and see his town. About 9 or 10 days left though until we get there. Have a good night everyone. I wish I could Skype you!
6 comments:
Thanks for the update. Have fun in Copper Canyon!
Yes, I agree that it is probably your driving. That can be stressful. Just ask all of the gophers, racoons, etc.
Anyway, it's too bad my spring break trip fell through. Perhaps I could be in mexico right now if I had known earlier. The good news for you is that I will no longer be checking off the 2 of the 1000 things in the bahamas anytime soon.
Princess! Have a great time at Copper Canyon. Glad to hear that you made it safe and sound out of Juarez.
Keep working on your Mexican base and I'll think of you next week while I'm working on my Florida base.
Happy Travels!
Hola from your big sis...back from Honduras this morning at 1:30a.m. It was a great trip and my spanish is coming along well. They use vosotros sometimes...in Mexico too? So pleased to hear all is going well and that you are through the first steps of the process. Safe travels and enjoy the sights! We'll talk soon. Miss you both!
I'm so glad to hear things are going well. The kids and I have been trying to stay up-to-date, but couldn't get on your site for awhile. So...glad Juarez went well and you're safe, sorry to hear about mis-communication (but we all know what stress does to us!), looks like you had fun in Roswell (love that sci-fi stuff!), and lastly...I'm not so sure about eating at a restaurant where the food is out back talking to you... Did I cover most of it? :) Drive carefully and relax...each day is a new day, a chance to start anew. It's these hard times that make us stronger together (I sound like a darn philosopher!). Love ya both! ~Erin Johnson the II
Sorry to hear in your email, you're not feeling so well.Hope you're feeling better soon. Long way to go yet??? You'll both be fine.
Post a Comment