Monday, April 14, 2008

Road trip

For some odd reason our trip north took 2 hours less than our way south, covering the same distance. We went from Zacatecas to Chihuahua city in about 8 hours with 4 gas stops, many bathroom stops and a quick, greasy lunch. I can´t wait to eat a salad again! I never thought I´d say that since lettuce is one of my least favorite foods! This morning when we left the car thermometer said 47 degrees. Of course I was still in my tank top but I did unroll my pants from capri´s to full length. It felt fabulous!

Nothing much to report. We did get stopped twice at military checkpoints but only had to get out of the car for a search once. There are at least two more points before the border that we remember and I´m sure we´ll get stopped. I just hope they don´t have to unpack all our stuff. The suitcases I don´t mind but the dishes would stink because I don´t think we could get them back in the two boxes.

Overall our driving experience has been pretty good. Did I ever mention that when we took the bus to get Maren at the airport we got ¨held up¨so to speak? There was a broken down bus and a group of guys just stood in front of our bus on the highway and asked our driver for gas. He kept saying no but some other guys ran over to the broken bus and grabbed a huge jug and hose and siphoned off the jug full. It was insane! It sort of freaked us out and made us realize the whole bandit thing could happen because what are you going to do when someone stands right in front of you? You can´t really run them over. Maybe nudge them a little but that would not be good. But we´ve driven over 3000 miles in Mexico and only have about 250 left to go so we´ll cross our fingers!

Sort of good news.... Our current hotel (just for tonight) does allow me to upload pictures to my web album but it is so slow i don´t think I have the patience for it. I did have to start a new album since there is a 500 photo maximum. I will add the link to the second album at the left and that will have photos from our time in Cuernavaca through the end of the trip (eventually). They won´t be added in order since my CD sorts them alphebetically, not by date and I have to reorder them as I add them. Therefore, Acapulco will be before Cuernavaca, etc. Oh well.

No comments: