Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Getting to Acapulco

Ok… I say we went to Acapulco but out hotel was actually in Pie de la Cuesta which is about 12 km or so west of Old Acapulco. I can’t do the math to tell you what that is in miles because even my brain cells are sweating in this heat. All I know is there are 1.6 km in a mile… I think…
So after Taxco we hopped in the car for the 3 ½ hour journey to Acapulco. Since Felipe and I have learned that avoiding big city driving is very essential to how well we get along the rest of the day, Maren and I searched the map for a way to avoid the city of Acapulco. We navigated Felipe onto a “free” road, which means no guarantees on the road’s condition, about 45 minutes north of the city. Although we have been on some toll roads that made us want to turn around and ask for a refund. The road was in surprisingly good condition winding through the mountains and many little villages which thankfully didn’t have a ridiculous number of topes (speedbumps for those of you that don’t remember the dozen other times I’ve complained about them). As we got closer we started to see lots of palm trees everywhere. Initially we thought they were natural and then we noticed they were growing in suspiciously straight lines like at an apple orchard or Christmas tree farm. It made since when we started to see dozens of roadside stands selling fresh coconuts.

Pie de la Cuesta is basically the name of a beach area that is one tar road lined with little hotels and restaurants. The ocean is on one side and Lake Coyuca is on the other. Once we got to Hacienda Vayma we were offered an upgrade to an Oceanside suite. After comparing both rooms we all decided the extra $80 was worth the splurge to have AC and hot water. Pie de la Cuesta is famous for huge rolling waves and sunsets which we did find to be worth the visit. Apparently, you can’t view the sunset from most of Acapulco Bay because of the horseshoe shape so Pie de la Cuesta is the best spot to see the sun hit the ocean. However, the guide books don’t tell you about the strong fishy odor or the brown foam on the water. That’s the unpleasant surprise when you get there. The smell wasn’t overpowering most of the time and we were able to enjoy some outdoor meals with the tiki light atmosphere. And because the waves are so huge all the time, it isn’t really safe to swim anyway which is why every hotel has a pool (ours with a swim up bar). Since we didn’t get there until fairly late on Wednesday we just enjoyed the rooms air-conditioning, watched the sunset and had some drinks, a delicious pizza and onion rings on while watching the waves roll onto the beach… I know… Every time I mention pizza I feel guilty but I’ve decided that as long as we are eating it in Mexico it should be considered Mexican food!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was surprised in the last picure you don't have any sunburn Erin!! Just kidding!
love Claire